Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Don't make me use my stuff on ya, baby!

This post is titled with a quote from Elvis, as portrayed by Bruce Campbell in Bubba Ho-Tep, the 2002 movie directed by Don Coscarelli. Recently, I was invited over to the wooded wonderland of Bainbridge, Ohio.  Gladly, I wasn't alone in this wilderness, as I had myself a tour guide, Lex Watttz. What does the movie have to do with Elvis? Can't tell you that, you'll have to watch it! What I'm writing about is opening up your eyes, waking up, and becoming alive and aware of life's possibilities.


A year ago, I lost everything.  In March, 2011, I went through a miserable break up of a 7 year relationship.  This would be enough of a struggle if we didn't have a daughter together, and if I wasn't in the midst of a severe drinking problem.  My ex came from a large family, which meant I lost several "sisters and brothers," "nieces and nephews,"  and "family friends," totaling near 75 people.  No joke.  I lost an entire army of people I had considered supporters and allies.  But I digress, because we all know extreme loss causes bitterness, grief, stress and pain.  Which brings me back to Lex.


In early fall of last year, I hid in the background of life collecting friends on facebook rather than facing the world head on.  Somehow, I was friended by a guy who didn't mind chatting with me online while I played Deal or No Deal.  He even picked out the briefcases.  Lex wanted to meet me, but I was afraid to meet someone from the Internet.  I agreed the second time, and we went to a bookstore together and had coffee.  We stopped for a drink at the Spitfire, a real cool punk bar, and I was nervous as hell.  First, I was trying hard not to be the "drunk girl."  Secondly, because I found him attractive and I was sweating bullets.  Then, he kissed me.


Since then, I went through 2 months of intensive alcohol rehab.  I vanished from the world to get better.  I have stayed sober.  And to my surprise, Lex stuck by me.  He honored me by calling himself my boyfriend through all the hardship.  And recently, during a hockey game, he got down on one knee and proposed to me. I know this blog is supposed to be reserved for musicians and artists, but since I haven't posted since October I owed to myself to start fresh.  Lex, if you're reading this, you've given me a new reason to believe, to hope, to dream, and to create.  Our future lies ahead, bright and beautiful.  I'm thinking of renaming this blog.  LOL.  Stay tuned for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment